Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Happy 60th Birthday, Friend!

I would like to share with you what I tatted for a dear friend who is turning 60 this week.



It is Eliz Davis' Teddy Bear, the pattern can be found here. I was surprised to find that I had the rocking horse button that is in the photo on the pattern, so I was able to gage about how much space would be in the tummy area in order to add a button to that section. I wish I had picked a different one though, it seems to big, or maybe it's just to dark/drab of a color against a tan thread. I'm all about color so that maybe what it is. (That seems to translate into I need to make another one.)

It did give me some problems though. The first time I completed the head section and realized I needed to tat it tighter. The second time, I had to retro tat a couple of times, first I had problems with the nose section and then written directions missed a join, but over all it was another one that was fun to watch come to life.

Since I am writing this on Sunday, and post dating it until Tuesday which is my friend's bday, I still have it with me, so I will measure it. In size 20 Lizabeth thread, it is 3" arm to arm and just a bit over 3.5" from tip of ear to bottom of foot. I am not as good as Tatskool who kindly gives us thread amounts used (which I really appreciate), but I can tell you both of my clover shuttles were filled and I ended up with very little left on either of them.

I was pleased when I showed it to DD and she knew right away it was a teddy bear. I'll attach it to a blank card. (I wonder if I should make some balloons for it to be holding, that would add some color............ hummm.)

Happy Life,

Bonnie

10 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

That is an adorable little bear! I'm sure your friend will love it!

Tattin' Kat said...

I need to make one of these for my daughter. We call her Bear so this would be a perfect addition to a shirt maybe.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Thanks so much for the teddy bear link. I've seen the pattern before but didn't print it out, and now I have done so. It looks kind of challenging, but Eliz Davis nicely diagrammed it - with every ring and chain having a number. I've never seen that done before.

You did a great job, and the balloons will be a clever addition. I'm amused you're giving it to a gal turning 60! I'm a big fan of teddy bears and stuffed animals (still have several from my youth) and am now 66, so this kind of gift is so cute. I could have used a teddy bear to get me through the 'shock' of the 60th! :)

Sally Kerson said...

Your T.Bear is very cute, I love it and very interesting with the button in the middle. Balloons sound a good idea to brighten it up.

Typstatting said...

What a lovely bear he is so cute!!!

Vanessa said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

IsDihara said...

Your tatted bear is so cute I just want to hug him (or is it her?) A fine job!

Hee, hee, my word verification for this comment is TATON - so I say, "Tat ON!"

Bonnie said...

Thank you for the nice comments everyone. I am working on a second teddy bear, and am at the point where I'm going to add a more colorful button this time.

Isdihara, I love it, "Tat ON!" I think it could be my new phrase, like Rock On only it's Tat On. To funny!!

Unknown said...

Love the little tatted bear!

Tatskool said...

Balloons, yes, they would bring it to life. She will love it.